School safety conference focuses on education and law enforcement executives
NASRO plans National School Safety Leaders’ Summit
Sep. 20, 2018 – BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – A conference in Baltimore will provide education and law enforcement leaders critical information needed to keep schools safe. The National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO) will host the National School Safety Leaders’ Summit, December 2-4. The conference is designed especially for school system superintendents and other administrators, school board members, police chiefs, sheriffs, juvenile court judges and others in leadership positions who have responsibility for school safety.
“Organizational leaders have unique information needs when it comes to school safety and security,” said Mo Canady, NASRO’s executive director. “Our leadership summit helps meet those needs while providing leaders an opportunity to network and learn from each other.”
The summit’s nationally known speakers include:
- Michele Gay, co-founder and executive director of Safe and Sound Schools.
- A representative of the National Threat Assessment Center of the U.S. Secret Service.
- Bernie James, education law expert and professor of law at Pepperdine University.
- Peter Langman, psychologist and author of School Shooters: Understanding High School, College, and Adult Perpetrators (Rowman & Littlefield Publishers).
- Paul DeMarco, attorney and former Alabama State Representative.
- A representative of the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community-Oriented Policing Services.
Topics to be covered include:
- Properly structuring a school safety team that’s prepared to respond to crises.
- Creating an effective, proactive school safety plan.
- Understanding liability issues associated with substandard safety teams and/or plans.
- Engaging legislators on school safety topics.
- Understanding emerging school safety trends and funding opportunities.
To obtain more information or to register for NASRO’s National School Safety Leaders’ Summit, visit the NASRO website: https://nasro.org/conference/leaderssummit/.
NASRO is a nonprofit organization for school-based law enforcement officers, school administrators, and school security and safety professionals working as partners to protect students, school faculty and staff, and the schools they attend. NASRO is headquartered in Hoover, Alabama, and it was established in 1991. For more information, visit www.nasro.org.
Jani Spede Public Relations
(866) 923-9980 ext. 2