2018 Award Recipients
June 28, 2018 – Reno, NV – The National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO) presented its annual awards today during a dinner at its national school safety conference at the Peppermill Resort in Reno, Nevada. All recipients are listed below.
National Road Safety Foundation and NASRO Innovation in the Classroom Award – Presented for creative, innovated programs that educate young people about traffic safety.
- Tom Sloan – Round Rock Police Department, TX
NASRO Model Agency Award – Presented to agencies that exemplify the NASRO triad concept in training, policies, and standards and that demonstrate creative and innovative approaches to school-based policing.
- Goodyear Police Department – AZ
- Maui Police Department – HI
- Cass County Sheriff’s Office – ND
- Stillwater Police Department – OK
- Portland Police Bureau – OR
- Ringgold School District Police – PA
- Salisbury Township Police Department – PA
- Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office – VA
- Cheyenne Police Department – WY
Exceptional Service Award – Presented for continuous and sustained service to the school community above and beyond that normally expected of a school resource officer (SRO – a law enforcement officer specially trained for assignment to a school campus) or school staff member.
- Charles Dapolite – Westborough Police Department, MA
- Frank Gnas – Northern Lehigh School District Police, PA
- Nancy Leedburg – Brockton Police Department, MA
- Ed Povirk – Scott Township Police, PA
- Tamara Ray – Baltimore County Police Department, MD
- Cory Spencer – Lakes Area Police, MN
- Shane Woodall – Rockingham County Sheriff’s, NC
Chief Nicholas C. Derzis Safe Schools Leadership Award – Presented to individuals who are willing to support and further develop the SRO partnership and who exemplify leadership, innovation, dedication and proactive measures to enhance the safety of the school community.
- Superintendent Crit Caton – Artesia Public Schools, NM
- Joe Kozarian – Brentwood Schools, PA
- Doctor Marilyn Lewis – Alabama State Department of Education, AL
- Chief Ian Moffett – Miami-Dade County School Police Department, FL
- Michelle Ann Richardson – Knox County Sheriff’s Department, IN
Joe Harris Memorial Instructor of the Year Award – Presented for exceptional service as an instructor of SROs who takes NASRO’s school policing courses and for serving as an exemplary ambassador for NASRO.
- Captain Joe Carter – Hall County Sheriff’s Office
Floyd Ledbetter National School Resource Officer of the Year Award – Recognizes an SRO who has been nominated by a peer, supervisor, school and/or school district, student or faculty member for a specific and significant contribution to his or her local town, city, county and/or school district.
- Marvin Tevaga – Maui Police Department, HI
National SRO Award of Valor – Presented for going above and beyond that expected of normal incidents and/or actions of an SRO and/or school staff member.
- Blaine Gaskill – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Department, MD
- James Long – Marion County Sheriff’s Department, FL