2017 Award Recipients
July 25, 2017 – Washington, D.C. – The National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO) presented its annual awards today during a luncheon at its national school safety conference at the Washington Hilton, Washington, D.C. All recipients are listed below.
National Road Safety Foundation and NASRO Innovation in the Classroom Award – Presented for creative, innovated programs that educate young people about traffic safety.
- Dustin Kato – Chino Police Department, Chino, CA
NASRO Model Agency Award – Presented to agencies that exemplify the NASRO triad concept in training, policies, and standards and that demonstrate creative and innovative approaches to school-based policing.
- Quaker Valley School District, Leetsdale, PA
Exceptional Service Award – Presented for continuous and sustained service to the school community above and beyond that normally expected of a school resource officer (SRO – a law enforcement officer specially trained for assignment to a school campus) or school staff member.
- Sonya Shepard – Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office, FL
- Timothy Fiedler – Baltimore County Police Department, MD
- Gregory Suber – Baltimore County Police Department, MD
- Lonzo Boyce – Duquesne Elementary School, PA
- Matthew McCormack – Wallenpaupack Area School District, PA
- Ronald Porupsky – Pleasant Hills Police, PA
- Elizabeth Heffler, Natick Police Department, MA
- Brandon Qualls – Muncie Police Department, IN
- Jon Tindal – Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department, IN
- Emanuel Araneta – Alhambra Unified School District, CA
Safe Schools Leadership Award – This award, that now bears his name, was given in appreciation of his service as the Police Chief Representative to the NASRO board and for his dedication to ideals of school safety.
- Chief Nicholas C. Derzis, Hoover Police Department, AL
Chief Nicholas C. Derzis Safe Schools Leadership Award – Presented to individuals who are willing to support and further develop the SRO partnership and who exemplify leadership, innovation, dedication and proactive measures to enhance the safety of the school community.
- Vicki Almond, Baltimore County Council, MD
- Dr. Dallas Dance, Baltimore County Public Schools, MD
- Terrence Sheridan, Baltimore County Police Department, MD
Joe Harris Memorial Instructor of the Year Award – Presented for exceptional service as an instructor of SROs who take NASRO’s school policing courses and for serving as an exemplary ambassador for NASRO.
- Matt Liston, Derby Police Department, KS
Meritorious Service Award – Presented for going above and beyond that expected of normal incidents and/or actions of an SRO and/or school staff member.
- Kevin Teague, Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, TN
Floyd Ledbetter National School Resource Officer of the Year Award – Recognizes an SRO who has been nominated by a peer, supervisor, school and/or school district, student or faculty member for a specific and significant contribution to his or her local town, city, county and/or school district.
- Dan Sperry, Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office, ID