2016 Award Recipients
July 13, 2016 – Anaheim, CA – The National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO) presented its annual awards today during a breakfast at its national school safety conference at the Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, CA. All recipients are listed below.
National Road Safety Foundation and NASRO Innovation in the Classroom Award – Presented for creative, innovated programs that educate young people about traffic safety.
- Kristen Mayo – Round Rock Police Department, Round Rock, TX
NASRO Model Agency Award – Presented to agencies that exemplify the NASRO triad concept in training, policies and standards and that demonstrate creative and innovative approaches to school-based policing.
- Canton Police Department, Canton, MI
- Peoria Police Department, Peoria, AZ
- Round Rock Police Department, Round Rock, TX
- South Fayette Township Police Department, Morgan, PA
- Wallenpaupack Area School Police, Hawley, PA
Exceptional Service Award – Presented for continuous and sustained service to the school community above and beyond that normally expected of a school resource officer (SRO – a law enforcement officer specially trained for assignment to a school campus) or school staff member.
- Bill Oslick, Collier Township Police, Chartiers Valley High School, Bridgeville, PA
Safe Schools Leadership Award – Presented to individuals who are willing to support and further develop the SRO partnership and who exemplify leadership, innovation, dedication and proactive measures to enhance the safety of the school community.
- Jerry McConnell, Moore Norman Technology Center, Norman, OK
Joe Harris Memorial Instructor of the Year Award – Presented for exceptional service as an instructor of SROs who take NASRO’s school policing courses and for serving as an exemplary ambassador for NASRO.
- Kevin Nolan, Salem, NH
Award of Valor – Presented for a single act of courage and valor, above and beyond that expected of normal incidents and/or actions of an SRO and/or school staff member.
Floyd Ledbetter National School Resource Officer of the Year Award – Recognizes an SRO who has been nominated by a peer, supervisor, school and/or school district, student or faculty member for a specific and significant contribution to his or her local town, city, county and/or school district.
- David Fernandez, Peoria Police Department, Peoria, AZ